June 2018 Yard of the Month Winner!
Keep Brazos Beautiful Yard of the Month has been established to promote goodwill and reward exemplary lawn care in the community. The purpose of Yard of the Month is to recognize neighbors who demonstrate above average efforts in maintaining their yards and contribute to the appearance of the community at large.
For each month, you can nominate your yard, or your neighbor’s yard, for the Yard of the Month. The Keep Brazos Beautiful Yard of the Month Committee will make a recommendation from those nominations to the Keep Brazos Beautiful Board that best exemplifies: uniqueness, beauty, appeal and consistency with the guidelines. Keep Brazos Beautiful will focus on ‘curb appeal’ and will accept nominations for the portion of the yard visible from the street. The committee will select one residential yard at the end of each month. Winners will be notified, a decorative yard sign and garden stone will be delivered at the beginning of each month, and photos of the yard will be posted on the Keep Brazos Beautiful website.
- All residential properties within city limits are automatically eligible.
- Award winners are selected based on the recommendations of the yard of the month committee.
- Key criteria include manicured yard, overall appearance, originality and creativity.
- The upkeep of the property can be maintained by residents themselves or a professional.
- An award duration term lasts a single calendar month, and runs from the first day to the last day of the calendar month.
- The same property cannot receive more than one award in a 12-month calendar period.
- While an individual’s home is being recognized as a “Yard of the Month,” they are expected to maintain their yard in the same manner that allowed them to win the title.
Keep Brazos Beautiful Yard of the Month candidates are judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property and front yard as seen from the street. Factors include but are not limited to; overall appearance, tidiness, and neatness of the front of the property as evidenced by pruned, trimmed and shaped foliage, edged and defined lawns, borders and flower beds, and visually appealing façade. Each yard will be chosen from the nominations received by the Yard of the Month Committee and voted on by the Keep Brazos Beautiful Board.
Lawn: Grass should be healthy with no bare spots or excessive weeds. Grass should be mowed and edged/trimmed around foundations and fences.
Landscaping and Flower Beds: Flower beds should be weeded and edged, flowers must be deheaded and dead plants removed, trees and shrubs pruned, natural areas cleaned. Beautifications efforts should include new flowers, new trees and new shrubs, etc. with plantings in scale with the surroundings.
Walkways and Driveways: Walkways and driveways shall be clean (including trash containers or yard products be removed from view). The area in front of the curb must be free from debris and dirt.
Nominations must be complete by the fourth Tuesday of the month at 11:00 am, and can be made by filling out our form here.